The blue footed what? The blue-footed booby is a marine bird.
Don’t miss the blue footed booby mating dance video link below!
Here are 10 Fabulous Facts About the Blue Footed Booby:
1. The male shows off his blue feet to the female when courting her. The bluer the feet, the more attractive he is to his potential mate.
2. The courtship dance by the male is very elaborate. Word don’t do it justice so here’s a a video on blue-footed booby mating dance
3. The blue-footed booby is 32-34 inches (81-86cm) high with a wingspan of 5 feet (1.5m). It weighs 3.25 pounds (1.5kg).
4. Blue-footed boobies are expert hunters at sea. They will often dive from 80 feet high to catch fish underwater. They can also dive from a sitting position.
5. Both parents care for their chicks. They usually have 1-3 chicks at a time. A parent will cover their chick with their webbed feet to keep them warm.
6. Nestlings that are bullied go on to live happy and productive lives (they are easy to study because they have no natural predators and humans have never hunted them).
7. Blue-footed boobies live off the west coasts of Central and South America, with half the breeding pairs living in the Galapagos Islands.
8. Young blue-footed boobies have darker blue feet.
9. Their name is thought to come from the Spanish word “bobo” which means “stupid” or “clown.” They may look clumsy on land, but they far from stupid (maybe a bit bird-brained though).
10. Most blue-footed boobies will live and breed within dozens of feet of where they were born.
Facts from National Geographic page on Blue Footed Boobies
Good article on Blue-Footed Boobies by the New York Times