10 Fascinating Facts About Manatees
1. Manatees, despite being called “sea cows” are related to elephants!
2. Besides weighing a lot (1000 pounds or 454 kilograms, more or less), both elephants and manatees have fingernails.
3. Manatees like warm water (like off Florida, USA) and will migrate up river to warm springs and the outfall of power plants in winter.
4. Manatee calves nurse under their mother’s flippers and will stay with them for 1-2 years.
5. Manatees can grow up to 12 feet (3.7 meters).
6. Manatees are herbivores and eat sea grass and other water plants.
7. Manatees continually grow teeth throughout life since they wear them down chewing on plants.
8. There are 3 types of manatees-Amazonian, West Indian, and West African.
9. Manatees have prehensile (can grasp) upper lips which they use to get food and to eat.
10. Manatees can graze for up to 7 hours a day because adults eat 10-15% of their body weight a day!