1. Blue Whales are the largest animal to have ever lived on Earth. They are larger than any dinosaurs were.
2. Blue Whales can grow to 100 feet long (30.5 meters) long. That’s as long as 20 school children laying down end-to-end!
3. Blue Whales weigh as much as 26 adult bull elephants (about 200 tons).
4. Blue Whales eat up to 40 million krill (a small kind of shrimp) a day, or about 8,000 pounds (3,629 kg). That’s the equivalent of eating 32,000 quarter pound hamburgers a day!
5. A Blue Whale’s heart is the size and weight of a compact car. It pumps a whopping 60 gallons per beat.
6. A Blue Whale can live over 80 years.
7. The deep rumbling sounds from a Blue Whale can travel for thousands of miles under the sea.
8. Before whaling, there were 250,000 Blue Whales on Earth. Now there are less than 10,000.
9. A Blue Whale calf (baby) gains 250 pounds (113 kg) a day just from its mother’s milk!
10. Central California, USA has the largest concentration of Blue Whales in the world. There are about 2,000 there seasonally.
The Real Fish of Finding Nemo
The Real Fish of Finding Nemo Part 2
The Real Animals (and Fish!) of Finding Dory
10 Amazing Facts About Sea Otters
10 Interesting Facts About Killer Whales, or Orcas
10 Awesome Facts About Cuttlefish
10 Fascinating Facts About Piranhas
10 Facts You Didn’t Know About Sea Sponges
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Manta Rays Have Social Lives!
Interview with Shark Scientist Melissa Cristina Marquez
Interview with Shark Researcher Kristian Parton
Meet Deep Blue—the Largest Great White Shark Ever Filmed
- Wisdom the Albatross Has Hatched a New Chick!
Ocean Animals and the Mirror Self Recognition Test
10 Fabulous Facts About the Sea Cucumber
What Is Bioluminescence and Why Do So Many Deep-Sea Animals Have It?
10 Fun Facts About the Opah Fish, or Moonfish
Interview With Dr. Deni Ramirez Macias, Whale Shark Researcher
10 Cool Facts About Polar Bears
Book Review: The Shark Club by Ann Kidd Taylor
10 Not-So-Scary Facts About Tiger Sharks
10 Cool Facts about Narwhals
Children’s Book Review: On Kiki’s Reef by Carol L. Malnor and illustrated by Trina L. Hunner
Follow me on Twitter!Follow @@protectoceans
- 10 facts
- Book Reviews
- Endangered Animals of Finding Nemo
- Guest Posts
- Marine Mammals
- Other animals
- Other Marine Animals
- People and the Ocean
- Sea Turtles
- Tweets of the Week
Search this Blog
- 10 facts
- book reviews
- endangered species
- Finding Nemo
- global warming
- Great White Shark
- guest post
- guest posts
- humpback whale
- manta ray
- manta rays
- marine mammals
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- ocean acidification
- plastic pollution
- sea level rise
- Sea otters
- sea turtles
- shark finning
- tweets of the week
- whale shark