1. Cuttlefish are cephalopods, not fish. Cephalopods include octopus, squid and nautilus.
2. Cuttlefish, along with most cephalopods, are the ocean’s most intelligent invertebrates.
3. Cuttlebone, found in the body of a cuttlefish, is used by pet birds to get calcium.
4. Cuttlefish have green-blue blood and 3 hearts!
5. A cuttlefish’s camouflage is so amazing that it can take on a checkerboard pattern placed beneath it.
6. Cuttlefish are color blind.
7. Cuttlefish taste with their suckers.
8. Cuttlefish have 8 arms and 2 long tentacles used for feeding.
9. The largest cuttlefish is the Australian giant cuttlefish, which is the size and shape of an American football.
10. Cuttlefish have W shaped eyelids so they can see in front of them and behind them at the same time.
The Real Fish of Finding Nemo
The Real Fish of Finding Nemo Part 2
The Real Animals (and Fish!) of Finding Dory
10 Amazing Facts About Sea Otters
10 Interesting Facts About Killer Whales, or Orcas
10 Awesome Facts About Cuttlefish
10 Fascinating Facts About Piranhas
10 Facts You Didn’t Know About Sea Sponges
Subscribe to Blog via Email
What is Horseshoe Crab Blood Used For and How Do They Spawn? Meet Edna the Horseshoe Crab!
- Happy World Manta Ray Day!
- Ocean Documentary Review: “Diving Deep: the Life and Times of Mike deGruy”
10 Questions About Sharks Answered
Book Review: Escape Galápagos by Ellen Prager
Review of documentary Sharkwater: Extinction by Rob Stewart
Meet the Pink Manta Ray!
Duffy the Sea Turtle: Children’s Picture Book Review
Manta Rays Have Social Lives!
Interview with Shark Scientist Melissa Cristina Marquez
Interview with Shark Researcher Kristian Parton
Meet Deep Blue—the Largest Great White Shark Ever Filmed
- Wisdom the Albatross Has Hatched a New Chick!
Ocean Animals and the Mirror Self Recognition Test
10 Fabulous Facts About the Sea Cucumber
Follow me on Twitter!Follow @@protectoceans
- 10 facts
- Book Reviews
- Endangered Animals of Finding Nemo
- Guest Posts
- Marine Mammals
- Other animals
- Other Marine Animals
- People and the Ocean
- Sea Turtles
- Tweets of the Week
Search this Blog
- 10 facts
- book reviews
- endangered species
- Finding Nemo
- global warming
- Great White Shark
- guest post
- guest posts
- humpback whale
- manta ray
- manta rays
- marine mammals
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- ocean acidification
- plastic pollution
- polar bears
- sea level rise
- Sea otters
- sea turtles
- shark finning
- tweets of the week
- whale shark