1. Cuttlefish are cephalopods, not fish. Cephalopods include octopus, squid and nautilus.
2. Cuttlefish, along with most cephalopods, are the ocean’s most intelligent invertebrates.
3. Cuttlebone, found in the body of a cuttlefish, is used by pet birds to get calcium.
4. Cuttlefish have green-blue blood and 3 hearts!
5. A cuttlefish’s camouflage is so amazing that it can take on a checkerboard pattern placed beneath it.
6. Cuttlefish are color blind.
7. Cuttlefish taste with their suckers.
8. Cuttlefish have 8 arms and 2 long tentacles used for feeding.
9. The largest cuttlefish is the Australian giant cuttlefish, which is the size and shape of an American football.
10. Cuttlefish have W shaped eyelids so they can see in front of them and behind them at the same time.
The Real Fish of Finding Nemo
The Real Fish of Finding Nemo Part 2
The Real Animals (and Fish!) of Finding Dory
10 Amazing Facts About Sea Otters
10 Interesting Facts About Killer Whales, or Orcas
10 Awesome Facts About Cuttlefish
10 Fascinating Facts About Piranhas
10 Facts You Didn’t Know About Sea Sponges
Subscribe to Blog via Email
10 Cool Facts About Polar Bears
Book Review: The Shark Club by Ann Kidd Taylor
10 Not-So-Scary Facts About Tiger Sharks
10 Cool Facts about Narwhals
Children’s Book Review: On Kiki’s Reef by Carol L. Malnor and illustrated by Trina L. Hunner
Blue-Green Bacteria (Prochlorococcus) are Most Abundant Photosynthesizing Biomass on Earth
European Eel Life Cycle
Plastic Bits are Food? An Anchovy’s Perspective…
10 Fabulous Facts About the Blue Footed Booby
10 Amazing Facts About Great White Sharks
- Children’s Book Review: If Sharks Disappeared by Lily Williams
- 10 Interesting Facts About the Mola Mola, or Ocean Sunfish
- Coral Reef Bleaching—Why the Great Barrier Reef is in Trouble
- The Journey of One Drop of Water
- Book Preview of “If Sharks Disappeared” and Interview with Author Lily Williams
Follow me on Twitter!Follow @@protectoceans
- 10 facts
- Book Reviews
- Endangered Animals of Finding Nemo
- Guest Posts
- Marine Mammals
- Other animals
- Other Marine Animals
- People and the Ocean
- Sea Turtles
- Tweets of the Week
Search this Blog
- 10 facts
- book reviews
- endangered species
- Finding Dory
- Finding Nemo
- global warming
- Great White Shark
- guest post
- guest posts
- humpback whale
- manta ray
- manta rays
- marine mammals
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- ocean acidification
- plastic pollution
- sea level rise
- Sea otters
- sea turtles
- shark finning
- tweets of the week
- whale shark