Now that the Winter Olympics are over, I thought I’d list some record-breaking ocean animals:
1. The fastest fish in the ocean is a sailfish clocked at 68.18 mph (miles per hour)or 109.73 kph (kilometers per hour).
2. The fastest shark is a mako shark measured at 60 mph (96.56 kph).
3. The heaviest bony fish is a Mola mola (ocean sunfish) that was 10 feet long and weighed 4,928 pounds.
4. The largest fish is a whale shark that was 41.5 feet long (12.6 meters) and weighed 66,000 pounds (21.5 metric tons).
5. The largest, heaviest, and longest ocean animal is a blue whale female measured at 109 feet 3.5 inches(33.27 meters) and 190 tons.
6. The longest fish is an oarfish that was 56 feet long (17 meters)
7. The longest colony (of more than one animal) of animals is a siphonophore (similar to a jellyfish) named Praya dubia that is 100-160 feet long (30-50 meters)
8. The oldest ocean animal was an ocean quahog clam named Ming who was 507 years old.
9. The oldest mammal is a bowhead whale estimated to be at least 211 years old.
10. The deepest swimming air-breathing animal is a sperm whale, which can dive to depths of 9800 feet (3 kilometers)
Some facts based on Biggest, Smallest, Fastest, and Deepest marine animals
The Real Fish of Finding Nemo
The Real Fish of Finding Nemo Part 2
The Real Animals (and Fish!) of Finding Dory
10 Amazing Facts About Sea Otters
10 Interesting Facts About Killer Whales, or Orcas
10 Awesome Facts About Cuttlefish
10 Fascinating Facts About Piranhas
10 Facts You Didn’t Know About Sea Sponges
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Meet the Pink Manta Ray!
Duffy the Sea Turtle: Children’s Picture Book Review
Manta Rays Have Social Lives!
Interview with Shark Scientist Melissa Cristina Marquez
Interview with Shark Researcher Kristian Parton
Meet Deep Blue—the Largest Great White Shark Ever Filmed
- Wisdom the Albatross Has Hatched a New Chick!
Ocean Animals and the Mirror Self Recognition Test
10 Fabulous Facts About the Sea Cucumber
What Is Bioluminescence and Why Do So Many Deep-Sea Animals Have It?
10 Fun Facts About the Opah Fish, or Moonfish
Interview With Dr. Deni Ramirez Macias, Whale Shark Researcher
10 Cool Facts About Polar Bears
Book Review: The Shark Club by Ann Kidd Taylor
10 Not-So-Scary Facts About Tiger Sharks
Follow me on Twitter!Follow @@protectoceans
- 10 facts
- Book Reviews
- Endangered Animals of Finding Nemo
- Guest Posts
- Marine Mammals
- Other animals
- Other Marine Animals
- People and the Ocean
- Sea Turtles
- Tweets of the Week
Search this Blog
- 10 facts
- book reviews
- endangered species
- Finding Nemo
- global warming
- Great White Shark
- guest post
- guest posts
- humpback whale
- manta ray
- manta rays
- marine mammals
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- ocean acidification
- plastic pollution
- sea level rise
- Sea otters
- sea turtles
- shark finning
- tweets of the week
- whale shark