10 Killer Whales or Orca Whales Facts:
1. Orca Whales are found in all the world’s oceans.
2. Orcas are apex predators and lack any natural predators.
3. Most males never leave their mothers.
4. Orcas have culture since their hunting techniques and vocalizations are passed down generations.
5. Killer Whales generate 3 types of sounds: clicks, whistles, and pulsed calls.
6. Each pod has its own dialect of calls (that only they use).
7. Orcas and pilot whales are the only non-human species in which females undergo menopause (around age 40 years) and live decades after.
8. There may be up to 4 generations of Orcas in a traveling group.
9. Orcas have the 2nd heaviest brain among marine mammals (sperm whales have the heaviest brain)
10. A female Orca gives birth to 1 calf every five years, and she averages 5 calves per lifetime.