Now that the Winter Olympics are over, I thought I’d list some record-breaking ocean animals:
1. The fastest fish in the ocean is a sailfish clocked at 68.18 mph (miles per hour)or 109.73 kph (kilometers per hour).
2. The fastest shark is a mako shark measured at 60 mph (96.56 kph).
3. The heaviest bony fish is a Mola mola (ocean sunfish) that was 10 feet long and weighed 4,928 pounds.
4. The largest fish is a whale shark that was 41.5 feet long (12.6 meters) and weighed 66,000 pounds (21.5 metric tons).
5. The largest, heaviest, and longest ocean animal is a blue whale female measured at 109 feet 3.5 inches(33.27 meters) and 190 tons.
6. The longest fish is an oarfish that was 56 feet long (17 meters)
7. The longest colony (of more than one animal) of animals is a siphonophore (similar to a jellyfish) named Praya dubia that is 100-160 feet long (30-50 meters)
8. The oldest ocean animal was an ocean quahog clam named Ming who was 507 years old.
9. The oldest mammal is a bowhead whale estimated to be at least 211 years old.
10. The deepest swimming air-breathing animal is a sperm whale, which can dive to depths of 9800 feet (3 kilometers)
Some facts based on Biggest, Smallest, Fastest, and Deepest marine animals
- Children’s Book Review: If Sharks Disappeared by Lily Williams
- 10 Interesting Facts About the Mola Mola, or Ocean Sunfish
- Coral Reef Bleaching—Why the Great Barrier Reef is in Trouble
- The Journey of One Drop of Water
- Book Preview of “If Sharks Disappeared” and Interview with Author Lily Williams
- Book Review: Manatee Rescue by Nicola Davies
- 10 Fascinating Facts About Manatees
- Book Review: Tilikum’s Dream by Tracey Lynn Coryell
- Moana Movie Review-Is it Appropriate for Young Children?
- Hammerhead Sharks at Cocos Island
- Finding Dory Movie Review by a Marine Biologist
- Humpback Whales Exhibit Altruistic Behavior Towards Other Animal Species
- Guest Post-Bob Gorman and Reef Rescue: Five Things You Can Do to Protect Coral Reefs
- Meet Cooper the Copepod & Learn About Microplastics
- The Real Animals (and Fish!) of Finding Dory
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Follow me on Twitter!Follow @@protectoceans
- Book Reviews
- Endangered Animals of Finding Nemo
- Guest Posts
- Marine Mammals
- Other animals
- Other Marine Animals
- People and the Ocean
- Sea Turtles
- Tweets of the Week
Search this Blog
Tags10 facts acidification book reviews cephalopod clownfish dolphin dolphins elasmobranchs endangered species Finding Dory Finding Nemo fish garbage global warming Great White Shark guest post guest posts humpback whale interviews jellies jellyfish Manatees manta ray manta rays marine mammals mermaids Monterey Bay Aquarium ocean ocean acidification octopus overfishing plastic plastic pollution pollution rays sea level rise seals Sea otters sea turtles shark finning Sharks squid tweets of the week whales whale shark