With the new documentary out about captive Killer Whales (referred below as Orcas) called “Blackfish,” I thought I would list 10 interesting facts about Orcas:
1. Orcas are found in all the world’s oceans.
2. Orcas are apex predators and lack any natural predators.
3. Most males never leave their mothers.
4. Orcas have culture since their hunting techniques and vocalizations are passed down generations.
5. Orcas generate 3 types of sounds: clicks, whistles, and pulsed calls.
6. Each pod has its own dialect of calls (that only they use).
7. Orcas and pilot whales are the only non-human species in which females undergo menopause (around age 40 years) and live decades after.
8. There may be up to 4 generations of Orcas in a traveling group.
9. Orcas have the 2nd heaviest brain among marine mammals (sperm whales have the heaviest brain)
10. A female Orca gives birth to 1 calf every five years, and she averages 5 calves per lifetime.
YOUR help is needed! Win $50 Amazon gift card and help a scientist! Help us do science! I’ve teamed up with researcher Paige Brown Jarreau to create a survey of Ocean of Hope readers. By participating, you’ll be helping me improve Ocean of Hope and contributing to SCIENCE on blog readership. You will also get FREE science art from Paige’s Photography for participating, as well as a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card (100 available, 2 per blog participating!), or a t-shirt! Anyone can participate, even if you don’t regularly read this or other blogs. It should only take 10-15 minutes to complete. You can find the survey here: http://bit.ly/mysciblogreaders. Hurry, survey ends at midnight CST November 20, 2015!